Friday, February 15, 2013

Valentine's Day Movies

So in honor of Valentine's Day, here is a list of ten of my favorite Valentine's Day movies (in no particular order).

DDLJ
This is one movie that I will never get sick of. It's one of my favorite movies, and definitely one of my favorite chick flicks. When non-Indians ask me to recommend a Bollywood movie, this is one of the first ones I mention.


Pyaar Kiya To Darna Kya
I love Salman Khan. I love Kajol even more. This movie has them both. This is another one of my all time favorite movies. O O Jaane Jaana will forever be one of my favorite songs. If you haven't seen this movie, I think you need to go get on that. You'll love it!








Jab Pyaar Kisise Hota Hai
In my opinion, this movie has not received nearly as much credit as it deserves. Its claim to fame is the song Madhosh Dil Ki Dhadkan. Salman Khan is here once again, and this time he's opposite Twinkle Khanna. It follows the typical Bollywood rom-com plot, but it's a bit unique with the twist in the middle. Salman Khan has his playboy image, Twinkle is an average, simple girl, Aditya Narayan is adorable.





Hum Tum
This is a more recent than the previously mentioned movies. Saif and Rani are awesome in this, as expected, and the story was unique at the time. I loved this movie when it came out several years ago, and I still love it now. Kirron Kher (as Bobby Aunty) is probably my favorite person in this movie.





Jaane Tu... Ya Jaane Na
This is the most youthful movie of the lot. Imran Khan made his debut in this, and was immediately noticed. This was a refreshing movie to watch because of its youth, and the way the story is told makes it gripping. It also helps that all the songs are awesome.





Jab We Met
Jab We Met was a superhit movie starring Shahid Kapoor and Kareena Kapoor. Part of the success of the movie was the fact that this was Shahid and Kareena's last movie as a couple. Additionaly, the story was interesting, and the characters were very intriguing. Kareena's character is an outspoken, bindaas Sikhni (Bhatinda ki), and Shahid is a quiet, serious (angry) young man. The movie not only shows the progression of their relationship, but also shows their influences on each other and how they bettered each others views of life.


Pyaar To Hona Hi Tha
Kajol and Ajay Devgan may be my favorite celebrity couple. I love them together. This movie is one of those movies that just puts me in a good mood no matter what. I love Kajol in this movie, and Ajay is just super sweet. There are a lot of other characters that make the movie enjoyable as well.







Jaanam Samjha Karo
Salman Khan again. This time, he's with Urmila. Sallu is once again a playboy who ends up changing because of love. This movie has quite a few famous songs that you've probably heard, such as Sabki Baaratein AayiLove Hua, and of course the title song, Jaanam Samjha Karo. This isn't a hugely popular movie otherwise, but I really like it.





Haseena Maan Jayegi
In this list of chick flicks, I figured I'd add a more comedic love story. Haseena Maan Jayegi has Govinda, Sanjay Dutt, Karishma Kapoor, and Pooja Batra. Govinda and Sanjay Dutt are hilarious together. Ek dum jodi #1 (see what I did there?). This combo, plus Paresh Rawal and Anupam Kher is pure gold. I've seen this movie countless times, and I still laugh at every joke. Definitely one of my favorite comedies from that era of Bollywood.


Maine Pyar Kiya
Andddd we're back to Salman Khan. I didn't plan it this way, I swear! I just love 90s Salman Khan movies! Maine Pyar Kiya was Salman's first lead role. He was opposite Bhagyashree in a typical Rajshri production. I truly believe that this is one of the cheesiest movies Bollywood has to offer, and I love it! This is what Veeru Paaji was talking about in Sholay when he said "is mein emotion hai, drrrrama hai, tragedy hai!" Some people may not like this much cheese, but it's one of the "modern classics" of Bollywood, and I think every Bollywood buff should watch it. There are lots of famous quotes and songs from here, and, once again, lots and lots of cheesiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment