Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Kahaani: Movie Review

So I finally saw Kahaani a couple months ago and got lazy about writing the review. I'll finally share my thoughts about this with you now.



Usually I start out with my reviews on acting, but in this case, I'm going to omit that analysis because I think everyone acted pretty well in this movie.

Now let's talk about plot. This is the story (the kahaani, if you will) of a pregnant woman who came to Kolkota in search of her husband. She goes to the cops, who fail at finding her husband and in fact don't even believe that he exists. There's a twist when Vidya realizes that her husband has a lookalike and tries to find him that way, but basically all forces turn against her. The story goes on from there as she continues the search despite all other factors. It's a pretty interesting plot in itself, but my favorite part is the intelligence with which this movie is crafted. It's all very well put together, and I personally had a huge mind-blast moment at the end. It also helps that I'm a huge fan of thrillers.




If/when you watch this movie (again), think of Vidya as Durga Maa, and if you know anything about Durga Maa, you'll start noticing similarities. That in itself is pretty cool. I didn't know about that while I was watching the movie, but I just realized that some posters even depict her in the Durga Maa avatar. It's also kind of interesting that the movie takes place during Durga Puja, which kind of makes the Vidya-Durga Maa parallelism a bit more obvious. The whole double name thing for Bengalis (Inspector Satyoki/Rana) parallels the duality in her name and in her husband's name. There are several other subtle things in the movie that show how much thought went into the script and how mindful everything was of a meta-story while still making a gripping movie. I surprisingly do enjoy my fair share of mindless movies, but this was not one of them and I loved it. I don't want to give too much away about the ending (even if it has been out for a while now), but at the very end, it completely makes sense why the name of the movie is Kahaani, and I remember getting goosebumps when I figured that out.

If you haven't already seen this movie, I would definitely recommend it. There's a reason this movie ended up being such a big hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment