Monday, September 3, 2012

Student of the Year: Music Review

Firstly, I'm soooo sorry my posts have been seldom and scarce lately. I've been super busy with my internship and college, so haven't had time. I promise I'll get my review of Barfi (which everyone seems to love) out soon as well. For now though, I'll review a more recent album, Student of the Year.

Radha: This song has a semi traditional feel mixed with more modern beats. It doesn't completely sound contemporary, but it's not bad. I still can't believe the lyrics include the sentence "Radha likes to move that sexy Radha body" though. That's just unfortunate.

Ratta Maar: After reading the name of this song, I expected a Masti Ki Pathshaala type fast pace and loud song. This song actually has a very different feel. It's one of those sway-with-it type songs. I enjoyed the song overall.



The Disco Song (Disco Deewane):  be a remake of Disco Deewane, so that was a very pleasant surprise. I still wasn't completely thrilled with this song though. The tune is nice, but it could have been a bit faster or at least had some more dramatic beats. That being said, it still got stuck in my head for a while and I went around singing the chorus for a couple days. The picturization was also okay. I wasn't a fan of the choreography, and I'm interested in seeing how a full disco number fits in with a seemingly modern movie.



Ishq Wala Love: This is a super cute song. It's a melodious love song and just sounds really sweet. The lyrics are adorable too!! Definitely one of my favorites of the album.

Kukkad: This is a very typical Punjabi track that describes one of the heroes who apparently gets all the girls. I've got no clue which hero this is about, but the comments on YouTube suggest it's Siddharth Malhotra (who plays Abhimanyu).

Vele: This is another Punjabi track, and it will probably grow on me. The Punjabi was fine and normal and stuff, but then there was this random dubstep section with some Punjabi beats in the background, which kind of blew my mind. I keep forgetting that dubstep has made its way into India, so it's always fun to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment