Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Ek Tha Tiger: Music Review

So I was going to hold off on reviewing this until the evening, but I couldn't. I was listening to the soundtrack at work and just had to share my thoughts.

My favorite thing about this soundtrack is the diversity. You'll know what I mean by the end of this review. I also like that 3/4 songs are danceable, and then there's that one obligatory slow song. It's a good mix. I should also clarify, I don't mean that the dance numbers are super fast blaring music that makes you want to dance. I mean that these songs have very ethnic beats that you can't help but want to dance to. Unfortunately I have to resist so people around me at work don't give me weird looks.

Mashallah: This song came out last week with a promo. It has a very Arabic sound and sounds like one of those bellydancing type songs. Now I'm not really that fond of bellydancing, but I still like that music. This song in particular took a while to grow on me, but it's there now and I've had on replay for a while. Oh and this song also has the word "habibi" in there, which is the one Arabic word that everyone seems to know. Here's the video:


I usually don't comment much on the video, but I have to on this one. I love dancing, and since this album is so dance-y, I can't stop myself. Katrina's dancing has improved so much since she started. The bellydancing she learned for Sheila Ki Jawaani definitely paid off with the semi-bellydancing choreo set on this song.

Laapata: This song has very heavy Latin beats. I can see this song having a very salsa type of choreography. Since this is still Bollywood, I expect a Dekho Nashe Mein from Race kind of video. Definitely looking forward to this since I love Latin dances.

Banjaara: So far we've heard Arabic and Latin sounding songs. This one has a little bit of Irish/Scottish in it. I can definitely picture Irish dancing going on with the iconic traditional Irish music. This was definitely a surprise because I don't think I've ever heard Irish music in Bollywood before.

Saiyaara: I guess every movie has to have a Mohit Chauhan/Kailash Kher/Sonu Nigam/anyone who can do that genre slow-ish heartfelt song. Saiyaara is ETT's. And of course as with every song of this genre (especially those by Mohit Chauhan), this one is good too.

All in all, I really like this album. Definitely check it out. The songs do take a bit to grow on you, but just listen to them a few times and I'm sure you'll like them!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, we're like two peas in a pod! Just finished a music review, and I like the album as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out my review - http://endlessdigi.blogspot.com/2012/07/music-review-ek-tha-tiger-sohail-sen.html

    ReplyDelete