Thursday, June 14, 2012

IIFA Awards 2012

This is a bit late, but the IIFA Awards took place almost a week ago. They won't air until July 7 (according to my Google-ing skills at least), so we won't get to see it until then. I do have a bunch of spoilers though in case you haven't already seen them.


Awards

Best Film - Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara
I really liked this movie a lot, but I didn't love it as much as everyone else seemed to. That being said, I think it was better than the other nominations, so this is a valid victory.

Best Direction - Zoya Akhtar (Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara)

Actor (Male) - Ranbir Kapoor (Rockstar)
I did not watch Rockstar. I realize that may be surprising given how many movies I watch, but this movie somehow did not appeal to me. Therefore, I can't really comment on his acting in that movie. I do think that Hrithik (ZNMD) and Ajay Devgan (Singham) did well too.

Actor (Female) - Vidya Balan (The Dirty Picture)
Very well deserved. This was an extremely bold role and Vidya Balan did an amazing job with it.

Supporting Actor (Male) - Farhan Akhtar (Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara)
Everyone seems to love Farhan Akhtar. I think he's a wonderful director, but I don't like him that much as an actor. Maybe that's just me though.

Supporting Actor (Female) - Parineeti Chopra (Ladies vs. Ricky Bahl)
I absolutely love Pari. I mentioned this earlier in my Ishaqzaade review as well. Not only do I just adore her, I also adore Dimple Chaddha, her character in LVRB. Dimple Chaddha is such a mast Punjaban kuri, and as a Punjaban myself, I can't help but love her. Pari fulfilled the role extremely well and gave the character a depth that I think very few others could.

Performance in a Comic Role - Ritesh Deshmukh (Double Dhamaal)
I don't remember this movie as well I should, but Ritesh is awesome, and the movie wasn't bad.

Performance in a Negative Role - Prakash Raj (Singham)

Best Story - Reema Kagti and Zoya Akhtar (Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara)


Best Music Direction - A.R. Rahman (Nadaan Parinde - Rockstar)
I don't like the music from Rockstar. I feel like I just made a blasphemous statement because A.R. Rahman is apparently a music god now, but I prefer pretty much every other nominated song. Of the nominated songs, I would have given the award to Señorita. That song combines Spanish and Bollywood music and blends them beautifully. The lyrics are also really cool because the guys are talking in Hindi and the girls in Spanish. None understand the other's words yet respond to each other and say related things. It wasn't like other Hindi songs that just throw in meaningless Spanish phrases to sound exotic. Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy really knocked that ball out of the park.

Lyrics - Irshad Kamil (Nadaan Parinde - Rockstar)
I think I would have given it to Javed Akhtar for Khwabon Ke Parindey or Shabbir Ahmed for Teri Meri.

Playback Singer (Male) - Mohit Chauhan (Nadaan Parinde - Rockstar)

Playback Singer (Female) - Shreya Ghoshal (Teri Meri - Bodyguard)

Outstanding Achievement in Indian Cinema - Rekha

Outstanding Contribution to Indian Cinema - Ramesh Sippy
Sholay. 'nuff said.

Outstanding Contribution to International Cinema - Liv Ullmann

Best Debut (Male) - Vidyut Jamwal

Best Debut (Female) - Parineeti Chopra
...need I say more?

Outstanding Contribution to a Greener Environment - Diya Mirza

Star Plus Hottest Pair - Ranbir Kapoor and Nargis Fakhri


Performances



Performances included:
- Ranbir Kapoor and Rishi Kapoor
- Ranbir Kapoor and Ayushmann Khurana
- Mika Singh
- Shahid Kapoor and Priyanka Chopra
- Priyanka Chopra
- Bipasha Basu.

Personally I'm most excited for Rishi-Ranbir and Shahid.


I'll have a follow up post within the next month with my thoughts after actually having seen the awards!

2 comments:

  1. The awards were not surprising at all, of course. It's a good thing you haven't watched Rockstar because I really didn't it, despite the music and Ranbir Kapoor. But Ranbir did do a good job in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I wasn't surprised either since it's the same as every other award ceremony, but I wish Rockstar wasn't so overrated. I don't understand what the fuss is about, and the music is definitely not worth all the awards it's getting.

      Delete