Thursday, June 14, 2012

Cocktail: Music Review

Tumhi Ho Bandhu - I've loved this song since the promo came out a while ago. It's a really catchy song and Diana is adorable in the video. Plus this song has that line that most Indians have heard forever: "Tumhi Ho Bandhu, Sakha Tumhi." It shouldn't be news that I like the song though since it's been at the top of my top 10 for a couple weeks now.


Daaru Desi - Everyone apparently loved this song when the promo came out, but I personally wasn't much of a fan. I just heard the full version of the song, and I actually think it sounds really cool now. I still don't understand why a friendship song has this kind of a feel, but I don't care so much because Shalmali Kholgade is amazing. Pareshaan was is one of my favorite songs and her voice is so beautiful that everything she sings sounds wonderful.


Yaariyan - This song reminds me a lot of O Meri Jaan from Life In a...Metro, and that's probably because of the rock feel. Regardless, this is another good song in the soundtrack. I wish the video showed the actual singers (Mohan Kanan and Shilpa Rao), since they owned this song. That being said, the guitar strumming didn't look cheesy or fake with Saif because he can actually play.


The reprise features Sunidhi Chauhan and Arijit Singh, who also do an amazing job. The music of this song is piano based, whereas the original was a guitar, which dramatically softens it. I personally like both versions a lot, and I feel the singers did a beautiful job.

Second Hand Jawaani - This song has the same feel as Bhangra Bistar from Dil Bole Hadippa. Since the music from this album seemed to remind me of other songs a lot, I decided to investigate. The music director of both Dil Bole Hadipp and Life In a...Metro is - you guessed it - Pritam. I guess that makes sense then that the songs sound similar. Unfortunately, I didn't like Second Hand Jawaani that much. I like other songs by Miss Pooja, like Kise De Naal and Romantic Jatt, but this one wasn't as good as I had hoped.

Tera Naam Japdi Phiran - This song is okay...definitely not my favorite from the album, but better than Second Hand Jawaani.


Luttna - This song has what I'm calling mini-dubstep. I didn't realize dubstep existed in India until Aafaton Ke Parindey in Ishaqzaade, and Luttna is still one of the first few Hindi dubstep songs I've heard. Despite having some dubstep, this isn't really a loud song, which I think makes the song kind of unique.

Jugni - Another decent song.

Overall Pritam has done a pretty good job with the soundtrack. He pulled in some brilliant singers, added some interesting and unique lyrics and some catchy tunes, and voila! My favorites are Tumhi Ho Bandhu, Daaru Desi, and Yaariyan. Enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for this, I never got the time to do a Cocktail music review! My favorites are the same as your favorites; Tumhi Ho Bandhu, Daaru Desi, and Yaariyan.

    ReplyDelete