Thursday, May 17, 2012

Teri Meri Kahaani: Music Review

Kunal Kohli's Teri Meri Kahaani, starring Shahid Kapoor and Priyanka Chopra, is all set to release June 22. It's a "thrice upon a love story" set in 1920, 1960, and 2012. Here's the trailer for the movie.


The movie seems to be a Hum Tum and Mausam kind of movie, and both of those were good, so hopefully this will be good as well. Personally the two things I liked the most are 1) The shayari for the 1910 characters and 2) the fact that the 2012 characters are Radha and Krish.

The music launch is supposed to happen very soon and two video promos have already come out. The first of these was Mukhtasar, which is supposed to be a modern 2012 song set in London. Here's the promo:


I didn't know what it meant, so I looked it up. Mukhtasar is Urdu for brief. I really liked the song. It's a fairly common sounding song, but it's catchy and personally, I have a newfound love for Urdu in songs (like Kaun Kenda in Bittoo Boss), so I really liked it. I also like the video, but that may just be because I like pretty much any video Shahid is in. I'm not a fan of the video with the song though. I'm not sure they fit together. I also don't like how Shahid stands with arms out SRK style for like half the song. I hope the actual movie has a better picturization of the song, but I guess we'll have to wait until at least late June to see that.

The second song they released was Mujhse Pyar Kar Le Tu.


It's a very playful song, and it has what I think will be my favorite avatar of Shahid's in the movie; Javed. He starts the promo with shayari, and his shayarana andaaz (poetic style) is amazing. His wardrobe, hair, and expressions fit the role very well. When I first heard the song it seemed repetitive, but it has grown on me a lot. It has a very strong beat and it's a very flirtatious and entertaining song.

These are the only songs with video promos so far. The other songs are:
Allah Jaane - It's a nice and melodious song. Basically the usual Rahat Fateh Ali Khan type.
Jab Se Mere Dil Ko Uff - This is supposed to be the main 1960 song. It's supposed to be Shammi Kapoor-esque type song. I'm not sure if it lived up to that magic, but regardless this is my favorite song of the album.
That's All I Really Wanna Do - This is a cutesy and sweet song, but it's definitely my least favorite of the lot.

All in all, there's a nice variety of music, which is probably suitable for a movie spanning three separate eras. Can't wait to see the movie!!

3 comments:

  1. A great summer gift to fans of Bollywood: For all those who love Shahid and Pryanku

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review, my favorites were Mukhtasar and Jab Se Mere Dil Ko Uff! Have you seen the promo for Jab Se? Shahid's looking good in there too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Glad you liked it! Jab Se Mere Dil Ko Uff has grown on me a lot since I wrote this review and that may actually be my favorite now (as you can see in my top 10 countdown for the week). And agreed. Shahid looked amazing in the promo!

    ReplyDelete